2010-04-04

Regional Realities: Quebec, New York And Vermont

I mentioned Vermont earlier. Through Vermont (and New York) public television, Quebecers are privy to the issues that face our neighbours in these states - and vice-versa. To say we have an intimate political, economic, historical and cultural relationship is an under statement. It's an interesting triangle. Quebecers flood Vermont and Upstate New York for a variety of reasons including shopping to escape the high sales taxes.

This morning I watched a Vermont weekly news show. One of the topics was NCAA hockey and the Hockey Hall of Fame. I thought to myself, hm, here are Americans talking about a sport Canadians love. It got me thinking. It's this sort of regional reality that makes us more aware of what goes on in Vermont and NY than say, people in Southern California, Texas or New Mexico. Of course, the reverse is true, I'm assuming, right across the border. People in Washington state are likely to be well informed in what goes in British Columbia.

Such is the stretches of the nation-state and regional realities. Strong central authority, something I used to believe in, may not be the best way to deal with challenges we all face. The folks on the Quebec-Vermont border know what they need more than what people in Ottawa and Washington tell them.

I think I'll head to Vermont shortly. My daughter likes ice-cream so maybe I'll take her to the Ben & Jerry's factory. At the same time I can go get me some of those Dutch pancakes in Stowe. 

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ???????????????????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spam nut.

    I had no idea I was an atheist. In fact, I don't think I ever discussed it.

    Meh.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.