2010-04-15

Brown Bag It

We've been hearing about "brown bags" or envelopes with money (our money by the way) exchanging hands for years in Quebec. So when I heard the revelations revealed by former justice minister Marc Bellemare about rampant corruption in the construction industry it didn't surprise me the "brown bags" came into the discussion.

Look. Quebec has always been a hedonistic and corrupt place.

Anyone who owns property or runs a business or pays close enough attention to the political landscape or lost a vote during the 1995 referendum knows this. We're like a small Southern state like Mississippi or Alabama with dreams of being Scandinavia. To what extent the corruption reaches I don't know. People realistically tolerate "wink, winks" in life. We all try to gain an edge somewhere.We're flawed and to think we can eradicate corruption smacks of naivete. However, the trick is to control it. When it becomes obvious, you will feel the heat.

Premier Charest is fast losing serious credibility. First, he denied Quebec's pension funds were in disarray - which they were - next, he faced a dubious metro car contract and now the construction fiasco. 

The construction industry is one big DUH. No kidding it's corrupted. I've worked on and off in the field for over 20 years. I've witnessed first hand how it works. For Charest to try and insult the collective intelligence of the population in this matter is rich. By the way, this involves both companies AND the government. I've never seen so many agencies and departments in place to "protect" me. Anyone know if a Canadian chapter for the Tea Party is coming? We can call it The Beer Party here.

On a side note, as I continue my quest to open my day care, I keep getting letters from all levels of government with several names attached to my file. It's like a parasite attaching itself to the host. Wait to I describe my encounters with the municipal town I'm dealing with. Now there's a swell and swift bunch.

Back to the Bellemare allegations. If it's all false, then Charest should spare us the law suit and hold a public inquiry. After all, if he's innocent and the system is fine, then he has nothing to worry about, right?

Riiighhht.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.