2012-09-11

Thomas Szasz Dead At 92

Szasz's "passion against coercion" is becoming more and more the theme of this blog.

I've come to realize societal coercion is an attack on the free soul. How anyone can argue otherwise is a little beyond me to comprehend. How can you be against "said social program you uncaring monster" is so unreasonable and illogical to me, I can't even begin to articulate it.

As for his opinion on the "myth of mental illness" that's a different debate.

I think schizophrenia and depression are real have valid medical literature to back it up.

2 comments:

  1. I saw Szasz on a talk show back in the late 50's or early 60's. As I understood him, he didn't actually deny the existence of mental illness so much as deny the concept of sanity. That is, he seemed to argue that society defines sanity and then "punishes" those who fail to conform to it. At least, that's how I understood it.

    Someone else to read on this was a guy named Seymour Krim and the article he wrote that is of interest is titled "The Insanity Bit". See:
    http://www.litkicks.com/SeymourKrimHowl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, that's how I understood Szasz as well.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.