2012-09-24

I Dream Of A White Blog

The excellent musical satirist Randy Newman on Slate.

I pull one quote for fun here:

"I’m not sure about a trend, but for me it’s a reaction to the Republican Party, which seems to have drifted farther to the right than a major party has drifted in my lifetime in any direction. It seems to have become almost a radical party. The hate and… I don’t think it’ll last. That kind of thing doesn’t seem to last."

Right. No hate in the Democrat ranks. Right.

Maybe Randy missed the chick at the DNC who wanted to kill Romney. There's 'hate' on Team Blue so let's stop dicking around with that.

I don't know to what degree the "far-right" has infiltrated the GOP but one can just as easily assert - and people do - the far left controls the Democratic party.

Of course, it's a matter of perception too. Some may feel that the GOP is so far right, it's pulling the Democrats to the right.

I do find it interesting that Democratic Presidents can get about as right-wing as you can get on military matters, and that Republican Presidents haven't been allergic to welfare legislation.

***

"I'm dreaming of a white president" is classic Newman.

I like the line referencing Bush and "to start a war." You mean, like the one Obama started without congressional approval in Libya? I mean, it's not like Obama stopped the war in Afghanistan, right?

Here's what I see. And who bleeping cares what I think but here goes.

Maybe there are many Americans who never got used to a black (well, bi-racial) president. But I think it's all part of the process of further moving America forward.

Look, Canada never had a Prime Minister of any nationality other than white Anglo or Franco-Canadian and I don't see us getting all hot about race - and we do have a checkered past on race.

In the end, America did vote for Obama and that achievement is monumental. Rather than sit and stew about the other stuff, why not focus on that? For him to have been elected meant many white people voted for him.

Which brings me to African-Americans. It's well-known they closed ranks with Obama. How come no satire about that?

This Stern segment I recall back in 2008 set it up nicely:

1 comment:

  1. I always ask "Which person is racist? The one who votes against someone because of skin color or the one who votes for someone because of skin color?"

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.