2012-09-26

Act Of Vandalism Suppressing Free Speech Is Not Free Speech

Until today, I didn't know who Mona Eltahawy was. After what I saw, I think I'd like to keep it that way.

But perusing through Foreign Policy, I happen upon her little escapade in a NYC subway about an ad put up by Pamela Geller.

She (Ethaway) tweeted: been assault and my goal was non-protest & violent civil disobedience. I did not and do not want to hurt anyone.

Some assault. Cops handled it fine if you ask me. Because you don't like what you see doesn't give you the right to vandalize.

"...Geller later blogged her version of the pink spray paint spat, calling Eltahawy a "thug" and correctly predicting that "This criminal behavior and fascism will be lauded in Leftist circles." The flurry of celebratory tweets from Eltahawy's many Twitter followers following her arrest would seem to confirm Geller's fears...."

Par for the course for the left.

I think the PQ and Pauline Marois are a miserable bunch of tyrannical tribalists. However, I don't take a spray can to her posters because A) decorum prevents me from doing so, B) her right to express her views prevent me from doing so and C) it's against the fricken law. I should add D) it would be a waste of spray paint.

I digress.

Another tweet: is arrested for protesting against Anti-Muslim ad on NYC subway!.... this will make u furious!                 

Surely he jests. Love how they're trying to turn her into some sort of freedom fighter. Please.

Her reaction to being arrested reminded me of soccer players who commit obvious fouls and look at the ref screaming "what did I do?"

Her asking why she was being arrested was further inexcusable. Presumably, living in North America she damn well should know why she was arrested.

This officially worries me. The bigger picture here is will we defend our right to free speech?

Don't like the poster? Sing in front of it. Take out an ad next to it. Hand out fliers disputing it. What she did was sophmoric nonsense. She chose to use the tired tactic of silencing opponents. But if we give into this, we degrade our own commitment to freedom of thought and speech.

It's simple and Mona ought to know better.

***

As for the ad? I can see why people would be outraged; especially considering the source - though I don't think it was anti-Muslim per se as it was anti-jihadist. It's written as such. It basically called jihadists savages, not Muslims.

I think there's a difference. Still, it doesn't give a person the right to commit a crime.

At best, two wrongs don't make a right here.

2 comments:

  1. I looked at the poster she defaced several times. I saw nothing anti anything except the lack of civility. The poster read, "In any war between civilized man and the savage, support the civilized man" followed by "Support Israel "defeat Jihad"

    It implied that Jihadists are savages but did not outright state so.

    One man's support of something is another man's insult, I suppose.

    Why not put up your own posters, Ms Ethaway? That is exercising your right to freedom of speech. Civilly. And does not reinforce the sentiment expressed by the poster you defaced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should a healthy food crusader deface a McDonald's sign? An environmentalist Exxon?

    The funny thing is we know Muslim cartoons depicting Jews as pigs happens a lot. I don't see them running rampant in the streets burning flags, burning down buildings or killing people.

    I also hear the person in question here was also arrested, detained, and unfortunately raped and beaten in an...Egyptian prison. I don't know if this is fact though.

    If it were, I Wonder if she got the same treatment here.

    /sarcasm.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.