2010-03-18

Max Fleischer's Superman

Dunnowhy, but always liked Max Fleischer's Superman animated series. From the art deco font, to the animation which has a Walt Disney look. In fact, the entire series has a strong art-deco feel to it.



Fleischer wasn't the only one producing bizarre cartoons in the 1930s. I remember watching a really, really wicked Woody Wood Pecker from that period. I have it somewhere I think. It was a video cassette we won somewhere and to this day I consider it one of my most important pieces (albeit misplaced) of pop culture art collection.The music in this cartoon reminds me of those haunting Library of Congress field recordings - Pretty Polly by E.C. Ball left a particular mark on me. I know the music is closer to old orchestra jazz but it still leaves the same impression. Incidentally, I've accumulated a few of those tunes through jazz compilations I've bought over the years. Not sure how to classify the music in the 'toon. Pre-big band? You know, Shaw, Webb, Mercer et all. It certainly sounds like something Cab Calloway would sing, what, with the skat talking. Does it go under "ragtime?" At which point, Jelly Roll Morton (saw the Broadway play 'Jelly's Last Jam' starring Gregory Hines years ago) comes into the picture. Then again, it's not really ragtime. Ok. I'm incoherent now. Off to the cartoon. Looks like one of my nightly nightmares:

 

Which reminds of this classic Bugs Bunny and these classic lines: "Sir Ul Of K, Earl of Autacress, Sir Ossis of The Liler, Knight of the Garter, and Barin of Oosta, Shesta, Shista, Sheista,Shoosta,shoosta,shoost a,shah. Sura" and "Duke of Ellington," "Earl of Hines" and "Upstarts and rogues never heard of them." From 1:45 min to about 2:30. Priceless. 



Incidentally, here's one of the earliest Bugs Bunny cartoons. Priceless works of animation arts:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.