2010-03-16

Doctors And Obamacare

So. Where do American doctors and physicians stand on Obamacare?

Hard to cull information but it looks like more are against it (according to (R) Senator Dr.John Barrasso, 90%) - I don't know where Howard Dean stands on things at the moment but he did think it was better to start over at one time. Link to the American Society of Medical Doctors and American College of Surgeons.  Catholic Hospitals for their part support it, provided abortion is not publicly funded. Big Government website took this position.

Apparently, the AMA only represents a quarter of doctors? Is this correct? Anyone?

***
We - meaning "Me" as in "I" - keeping hearing how conservatives and the GOP operate on the politics of fear. Yet whenever I see President Obama and the Democrats pimp out some kid or open with a sad story in a speech appealing to people's emotions about his plan, I wonder how is this any different?

4 comments:

  1. When our universal health insurance policy was about to be voted in, our doctors, one of my wife's uncle included, went on strike. They settled, the Sherbrooke ones at least, in a motel near the borfer in Vermont so as to be handy in case of an emergency.
    They came back and admitted that they were better off under the RAMQ than before because they were paid in cash every time.
    When some years ago the insurance set up was put in question our uncle and several others threatened to strike to prevent any modification. Was that a 180 degrees U TURN?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be that as it may, I think you need to update that.

    Many young doctors, it is expected, will be jumping off the RAMQ. The truth is, is that it's paternalistic and rigid. The younger generation is less willing to put up with a bureaucrat telling them about their work conditions.

    When I worked for FPC the data we culled was fascinating. We still have them. Waiting to be discovered. Most doctors, hospital administrators, nurses and patients we spoke too were extremely frustrated with the state of affairs - and if you don't think the system views patients as "cost oriented" as opposed to "care oriented" you're mistaken and that's why there's more and more people questioning it.

    I don't buy this "they were against it but now like it" logic. It can mean they adjusted (and got used to especially for the older guys) but it doesn't mean it was "better."

    Whether we like it or not, privatization is growing and that's because there's a DEMAND for it. I don't think as things stand, the government can ever improve the situation. They're in a "comfort" zone and trying to negotiate things is impossible.

    Either start new or allow for a parallel system of some sort. There is no MORAL right for the government to control MY health if I choose not to.

    Again, I'm not advocating the dismantling of the system but I want something better and I want something far more responsive than what we've got. Until we admit this we'll continue on as is.

    Personally, I've had good, bad and horrendous experiences - like waiting three hours with my shoulder dislocated at Charles-Lemoyne after a hockey game. No one CARED and treated me as if I was being difficult because I was in HORRIBLE pain and couldn't stand straight during the x-rays. If I could I would have punched the staff out.

    My ACL knee surgeries went very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I was worried what might happen with doctors and Obamas health plans.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.