2009-01-24

An Influential Band For The Ages

I've heard be said that 'Roadrunner' by the Modern Lovers is "the greatest rock song ever." People who think this, I would say, aren't crazy. They may very well be right. This is a different version than the original recording. Not sure from where and when but it's a great rustic take.



Someone once asked me where I got that "Hippie Johnny" quote and why I posted it on the bottom of this blog. Great song aside, I like the fact that it was countering the drug induced counter revolution in many ways. Take this world straight and dead on.



Jonathan Richman was the lead vocal and essence of the Modern Lovers. Don't be fooled by all the nerdiness. This guy is all cool. Saw him in Montreal a few years back. There were, maybe 100, 200 max, people (mostly university kids) in the venue. They went crazy when 'Vampire Girl' came on. I could see why. It was a contagious thing. Sometimes I wonder how this guy never made it "big" in the mainstream. Then again, we would be deprived of performances like "Dancing in the lesbian bar." The mainstream wouldn't get (or appreciate) it anyway. He's, shall we say, an acquired taste. But a delicious one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.