2011-07-13

Who Will Buy It?

Build it and they will come.

Field of Dreams. Where baseball meets Children of the Corn. I babble to confuse.

Years ago I learned a lesson. It wasn't a particularly hard one but educative nonetheless. It was during the Pet Rock craze in the early 1980s. In a bizarre perplexed marketing coup d'etat, the pet rock (a piece of rock with a stick on it) grabbed consumers by the collar and said, "you fucking buy me because I'm too much of a cool trend, got it?"

And people did.

I've always stood by the belief nobody knows, and I mean no one, what will sell or if the movie they make will bomb or take flight.

Hence, I totally ignore people who ask, "who will buy it?" or "who would want to buy that?" You know, so-called realists, wannabe investors, lower level banker-slaves and their credit masters etc.

In fact, chances are, if someone is telling you that you may be sitting on a winner.

We tend to over think sometimes. You know the old adage, the more education you have, the least likely you'll take risks, hence your balls get caught up in theories. I think Socrates said it. Or Babe Ruth. Or was it Mayor Quimby? I forget.

Nike possibly came up with the greatest most prescient slogan in the history of mankind:

Just do it.

Just fucking do it.

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't the Pet Rock fad go back to the 70s? or did it just come late to Canada?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 70s, but I think it was still going strong in the early 80s by the time I got around to noticing things around me.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.