2011-07-29

Progressive Canada

It was right out of a scene in a B-movie.

It was both comical and so sad at the same time.

I had to call Revenue Canada for something. Now, the way it works is because I'm a resident of Quebec, I'm directly sent to the French Revenue Canada. I didn't have the "English" number (I don't know why they just don't use a prompt like "Press 45 for English" or something), so off I was carted to the French side. I could tell by the accent the person on the other line was English-speaking so I dove right into English. She promptly gave me the number for the English line.

And this is where it got all screwey.

"Thanks. I'll remember that. Since I got you on the line can you check for me?'
"No."
"No?"
"If you do, you must ask in French and I must answer in French."
"Huh"
"Do not call here again. Good-bye."

*Cigar drops to ground. Mouth open*

"You're kidding right? I mean, are we this politically up our fucking asses that we can't even use common sense with one another? You're seriously going to make me hang up because some archaic, anti-liberty, provincial law rooted in insecure tribalism ordains it?"

*I didn't say that but that's what I wanted to say*

So. Yeah. Um. I had to hang up and dial the "English" number which by the way is in the exact same office.

Then it went something like this:
"Is it safe to speak English?"
"Yes."
"Can you send me all literature in English please. It's only, like, three times since 2010 I ask. I mean, this is Revenu Canada right?"
"Yes, it is indeed. Says here your settings are in English."
"So why am I getting stuff in French?"
"I don't know. Could be they didn't update until recently."
"Really? I asked for the change in November of 2010."
"I don't know, sir."

And so blah, blah it went on.

So there I was. An agent wasn't able to resend me papers in English nor did he seem to care.

Imagine if it would have been the other way around! Lawsuits and complaints en masse. Like that couple who were compensarte $12 000 because they couldn't get service in French on board Air Canada.

We pay for crap stupidity like that by the way. Then they wonder why...

Welcome to "progressive" Canada.

Our contribution to world philosophy.

Ancient Phoenicia, Iraq, China, India, Greece, Egypt, Rome, Renaissance, Enlightenment, American Constitution....Canadian progressivism.

Eh?

Ugh.

*Slaps face with palm*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.