2011-07-23

Daycare Update

There's a private daycare near my place that I've been observing for the last little while. It so happens the owner is friends with a friend of mine. I found out it took her one year to fill out 75 spots at an average price of $38 in a less wealthy area than me. God bless her was my first reaction. I know how rough and stressful it can be to do it without the drug known as a subsidy.

I thought to myself: Now that's exactly when the government or bank should approach her and say, "Hey, you did a great job. You're offering an important service, you're employing people and paying taxes. Here's what we propose. Here's a loan to go out and start a second one while we reduce your tax load on this one."

I know. Crazy talk on my part but if you think of it that's how it should be done. The best way to prosperity is not to tax the shit out of business but to let them save money eventually leading them to invest further into the economy through other openings. Instead, a lot of the money is drained by statist policies. The combination of superficial supply problems created by the state and the enormous strain on capital to small business people conspire to keep growth down.

It just blows my mind how the system's financial set up is completely illogical and favors creditors way too much.

My accountant once said, "well, you have to see it from their perspective." I get their perspective and they're right to place conditions on money they own and lend. However, it's to the point where someone has to leverage their family to get it. That, to me, is not right both morally and economically.

***

Someone I know opened a business in a suburb 30 minutes east of where I am. The problems he encountered with the city is stuff of legend and explains why we're seeing a backlash against what I do regard to be excessive state tyranny. Towns in these parts are corrupt to the core but that's not the point of this post. The point is in his municipality his plans were held up because the city turned them down insisting on choosing the materials and colours of his building he bought.

At least, he told me, if they had a reasonable excuse. All they told him is they prefer the look and colour they demanded. It delayed his project one year. Think they're kicking in on the mortgage and tax payments?

If this makes any sense to you. Congratulations. You're a natural born paternalistic tyrant who thinks he or she knows what's best for the greater good.

For all others, it's plain irrational. People listen up: They serve us. Not the other way around.

***

I was looking at picture of my daycare before the the municipality demanded the owners cover the red brick. Me and my wife were so upset. It was so much charming that way.

Alas, we and the owners had no say. The owner was in the wrong because the law clearly states only two materials are permitted (which is a stupid law if you ask me. As far as I'm concerned laws should be strictly to ensure we don't rob and kill each other not about whether we can use brick or wood on our houses. And if they are, their ought to be some flexibility) so it minimized our disappointment. Nonetheless, the city could have voted for it but apparently the mayor didn't like "red brick."

Even the parents preferred the brick. What can you do but nod in frustration and vote the suckers out?

March on folks. Every obstacle you face is but a mere challenge to be conquered and slayed. I have to admit it plays a tough psychological role.

If only the rules made sense, which most do, but still a lot of it is just plain overkill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.