2010-10-27

The Phone Call

Earlier this evening I accidentally answered the phone. I never answer the phone except for the matriarchs in the family who have earned the respect. Everyone else - Fucking waste of time.

Most of the calls are for my wife anyway. My calls come on my cell during the day and that's sufficient talk for me in a day. Me and my buddies, when we have to, communicate by email and the odd phone call.

After putting my daughter to bed - she fell asleep at 7pm. A new record - the phone rang. Ring, ring. I saw it was my wife's friend and former colleague but had no intention of answering but instead of hitting the "no ringer" button I accidentally put her on speaker.

And of all people! This person is going through a massively difficult time. What could I possibly say? Here's a girl who: Couldn't conceive, her husband cheated on her and is suspected of have given her HPV. She contracted diabetes thanks to a diet set by a naturopath, weighs under 100lbs, is anorexic, clinically depressed and suicidal.

What could I possibly say or add my wife can't? She's the one who used to devote free time to running all sorts of workshops including for anorexics. She's far more qualified than me that's for sure.

Not that I'm selling myself short but really. This girl is not in a good place at all.

Actually, I met her and my wife at the mall a couple of weeks back. She doesn't look well. Once a vibrant, strong girl with a teaching career, she looked like she aged several years. It was sad.

My intellectual prowess failed me. I couldn't find the proper words and even if I did I couldn't frame it in any coherent, particular manner.

The word is awkward. Like it was on the phone. I got out of it relatively unscathed but minutes later she called asking me to do some research on the internet (she has no access) about some clay thing called Montmorillonite. It's something my wife usually does but now I found myself feeling empathy.

I know, I know. Me. Empathy. Get it off!

Seriously. If anyone knows anything about this clay and its supposed healing properties especially for viruses like HPV and for those stricken with diabetes feel free to comment.

5 comments:

  1. I think you should organize a pie-eating contest, with all proceeds going to fight anorexia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I'm like 99% sure anything claiming to cure HPV is bullshit. I'm pretty sure you jyst have to treat the warts as they come and she should make sure to get regular pap smears, because many strains of HPV can cause cervical cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I've learned.

    I remember my wife mentioning that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no cure for either.

    Diabetes can only be controlled. As far as I know, they've found the gene that causes it but no cure.

    HPV is a virus. So...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of viruses...

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.