2010-10-16

Bullies

Over at Zeus I offered my thoughts on bullying. I told the story of how a bully tried his luck with me but failed. Not because I beat him up (he was three years older than me and in grade school that may as well be a 10 year difference) but because I stood up to him and took my licks. I even got in a few myself. It wasn't much of a fight but it was enough because it never happened again.

So it was with a slight smirk I met the news from a friend that the bum was recently convicted for an online gambling scam. 14 years in the slammer.

His brother, who was in my class, was another tyrannical sort. I still remember when he came into class for the first time. He was bitter and plain mean. The epitome of a scary problem child.

My buddy who came to our school at the same time of the thug introduced himself to the guy. It was met with a vicious, "fuck you." It was grade three. He died of cancer a couple of months ago. It was weird hearing that.

All the talk now is about bullying - as it should be. Personally, I'd make a public example of bullies. Beat the shit out of them. And if they're parents show no interest or remorse for the behaviour of their bum kids, they too should get a slap to the head.

Alas, I realize we "can't do that" but I know some parents who would do it vigilante style. There's no way they'd allow their kid to be terrorized while the "system" processes and rationalizes the problem; especially considering schools seem incapable of dealing with it. The silly solution is to ridiculously punish both parties.

My friend also told us about a colleague who confronted a parent whose son was beating up his kid. The father of the bully laughed in his face. Threats were exchanged. What can one do when the parent doesn't respond?

In this case, the father isn't waiting around to let his kid be psychologically abused and is teaching him to fight back.

Self-defense. It's the only way. That's why as soon as I can, I'll put my daughter in karate. The first go around didn't go too well but I'll put her back in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.