2011-05-06

Fiction Friday

My latest surreal piece at The Warehouse.

Slightly edited and expanded, it was originally sent in to a local sports radio contest for a trip to Wrigley. The only reason why I did was because the hosts were babbling on about how they wanted creative entries and that out of hundreds they received only a handful were fit to qualify for a lousy t-shirt at worst and tickets to watch the Cubs.

Me, being the literal cat I am, set to write something "creative."

I kinda knew it was a long shot but I put my faith in their commitment to creativity. I like to push our natural tendency to cater to the lowest common denominator.

So much for faith.

Entry after entry was nothing but typical, banal "top 10 lists," "I drive my wife crazy" and "I'm a big baseball fan" stories.

I must admit I was perplexed by my omission. If you call for "creative" writing remember that some of us out there take it seriously.

Anyway. Read it for yourselves. Catch the symbolism, history and pop culture references, alliteration and foreshadowing if you must.

I think that was the Nike "swoosh" sound I just heard.

***

You know. In a way, it's good shows like American Idol are on. Before, all judgement rested on the minds of a few. Now, an entire nation gets to decide.

They should do one for writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.