2009-11-24

My Blog Isn't Relevant. Big Shit.

A commenter, let's call him Vigilante, left a comment in my previous post that helped me realize something about my blog.

For years I've struggled to find an identity for this blog but how can I expect to find one when I myself can't define who I am? So, in a way, this blog is a reflection of my personality. I still haven't figured out how to tap into my "McSweeney" side.  I know it's there. Like that line from The Eagles in One of these nights:

I've been searching for the daughter of the devil himself
I've been searching for an angel in white
I've been waiting for a woman who's a little of both
And I can feel her but she's nowhere in sight

One of these nights I'll indeed nail this son of a bitch.

As result of my identity crisis, I've stopped "marketing" this blog. It went nowhere. I've come to terms with the fact my opinions have limited appeal. Every damn place, like Dmoz recently, I've applied to has turned me down. I don't know why. It's not like all the blogs on their directory are blowing minds away. Directories, publishers and whatever else expect tight, non-free form type of blogs; blogs with a clear sense of purpose so as to be able to "sell" them. I can't deliver that.

I just don't fit that mold. I never really fit into anything anyway so why should it be any different with blogs? So if my posts seem scattered or deemed "not relevant" all I can say is too bad - or, fuck you. I write what comes from my soul. Not with what I think some asshole wants me to write about.

I guess that's why I love this site a lot. Fire Jay Mariotti bloggers are real sports iconoclasts. They don't give a shit about popularity or seemed all that concerned about needing to present their blog in a "marketable" manner. I'm heading that way with this blog.

Which leads me to think...are our fates already written? To quote another rock band. This time The Kinks and  Last of the steam powered trains:

I'm the last of the good old renegades.
All my friends are all middle class and grey,
But I live in a museum, so I'm okay.
I'm the last of the good old fashioned steam-powered trains.

8 comments:

  1. Commish, this is the best column I've read this month! (And this month is long in the teeth!) This is awesome! No shit. This is freaking great. You've said all kinds of stuff I'm been trying to say. GR8 post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I meant to say, best column I've read anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Commish"? Does the Vigilante guy call you "communist"? If he thinks that of you then I'm from Mars.
    Speaking of blogs, why should they be focused? My blog wanders and I enjoy it. I'm not campaigning or advocating, just having fun...and once in a while giving my opinion, free expression so to speak. If no one cares, well so be it.
    Keep it up, Commentator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Vigilante guy addresses his host here as "Commissioner" in deference to his knowledge of baseball.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Communist? Ha! Nah, it's how Viggy says it. Like little leaguers, we gave each other nicknames - to bridge the ideological divide. Heh.

    We're Dodgers fans.

    Glad I earned your praise, Viggy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul, we should wander. A blog is a personal diary not a fucking corporation. It drives me nuts. I have to admit, it's a tough call. For example, my sports blog attracted interest from a sports marketing/management company. They can help it make money but it probably entails playing by some of their rules.

    Life. She ain't easy.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.