2009-11-23

More Rock Bands: The Who And The Kinks

Since I spoke about rock now I'm on a roll.

Everyone makes their case for "greatest" rock band ever. I know a few who pushed for The Who.

Quick story. Years and eons ago, we incorporated a friend into our gang. He was from the island of Montreal and moved into the 'burbs. One day, he had a party bridging his gang from the Dago parts of the city with his new found buddies. It was a clash of civilizations of sorts. I'll never forget one guy who sat mute for pretty much the whole night under an LA Lakers flag. He was wearing a t-shirt with a Union Jack and The Who impressed on it.

Then. It came on. 'Won't get fooled again.' All of a sudden he came alive. Like Frankenstein. Mimicking Keith Moon with a mock drum play. His other friend, known to have a framed the underwear of a stripper which he subsequently hanged over his bed, stood up as if listening to the national anthem.

It was all so...fucking wild.

When I spotted this video it made me smile. It was so raw. The Who were all energy. I'm not one to say "they don't make 'em like that" anymore. But seriously, man did they break the mold with some of these bands.

Baba O' Reilly



But many a music enthusiast I've met have often rated The Kinks, authors of Lola, You really got me and All day and all of the night, high and among the most under rated of bands:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.