2009-09-23

Death Of Nothing

Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.

I forget who said that but it applies here.

Am I the only one who is utterly bored with titles like "the death of...?"

"The death of conservatism" is the latest book pontificating how extremism has killed conservatism. Nah, none of that happened on the left. It's my contention, in fact, that liberalism has lost its soul and path way before the alleged destruction of conservatism.

But that's a "he said, she said" can of earth worms.

Here's a review of the book. I personally can't comment on the book and probably never will since I don't intend to read it. I have waaayyy too many books (Like 'The Life and Times of Heathcliff." The cat, not the character from 'Wuthering Heights') to get to before that.

Oh, the author of the book is from the NYT. NYT is not liberal. Sure. S'okay , honey. I understand.

***

Conservatism can't die. As long as we have a "conservative" ethic and moral code, how can this hard to describe belief system face death? Will people not always dress, eat, invest and by extension think conservatively? Conservatism just is...

The possible truth is that liberalism and conservatism need one another.

One can't live without the other.

Which reminds me of this quote by Norm Peterson from 'Cheers.'

Bar: "Norm!"

Coach: "What do you say, Norm?"

Norm: "Women...pass the beer nuts."

2 comments:

  1. Mark Twain said that after a newspaper announced his death...somewhat prematurely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's who!

    Of course.

    How could I forget!

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.