2011-06-12

Running Along Training

I'm training for a half-marathon and currently on pace to run it in roughly 88 minutes. Not bad for a guy pushing 40 on two bad knees. Then I thought, man, imagine if I did this during my peak athletic years and one good knee? At least, what, 70 minutes?

When I was 19, I was running on a treadmill at a local private club and one of the trainers came up to me and asked to join his team in training for marathons. Like a chooch I declined because back then I was running as a means to stay in shape for other sports. Running for a marathon had little appeal to me. I still see little purpose in running for two or three hours but these days, I no longer have time (or interest) to commit to sports like soccer or hockey anymore. I just don't feel like busting up my knees - again.

Running proves I'm still...alive.

***

I realized I'm using Nike running shoes to train. I bought them in Delaware at the Nike outlet for $59 - retail was $149 or something. I asked why the mark down was so high and the clerk told me because the colour was out of style one year later. The shoe is a nice melange of silver, white and orange. Style? Pft. Style is a state of mind and only a person with no personal creativity would wait for a company or magazine to tell them what's "in."

The last time I bought Nike was waaayyy back in 1986 or thereabouts. I was the only kid in town with Air Jordans. Remember the hype around those? I bought them (actually my parents) in the U.S. for I believe $115 at the time. They were pretty cool - black, some silver and red.

Comfortable too.

Since then, I've hopped along with New Balance, Asics, Diadora, Converse, Fila, Adidas, and Puma.

Until now.

I'm not brand loyal. I'm a whore that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.