2011-06-29

Appreciating Cultural History

The other part (in addition to the one on poverty discussed in a previous post) of the 60 Minutes report I saw was on Wynton Marsalis.

I agreed with Marsalis on the lack of knowledge (indeed, indifference) when it comes to "cultural history." Count me in as one of those people who find it a shame young people seem to know less and less - growing more and more disconnected - about significant historical figures that form the identity of an entity known as a "cultural" group. In this case, jazz is a uniquely American art form and as such, should be taught to every American. There really is no reason why the average person - if not average music fan - to know who Earl Hines, Chick Webb, Duke Ellington, Nick LaRocca, Jelly Roll Morton etc. right on down to the Marsalis brothers were.

The thing that struck me about the report was how, when in Cuba, people (mere kids in some cases) swarmed with incredible delight, anticipation and sheer love of music to Wynton Marsalis. They knew they were in the presence of a wonderful musician and let it be known.

If Marsalis walked the streets of North America he'd be able to walk into a smoked meat joint and hardly be noticed I reckon.

But shove Lady Gaga, Justin Beiber, the Royal Couple or Paris Hilton in there and watch the streets fill up.

Maybe it's an unfair comparison, I don't know. 

***

When I was in Cuba, I spent my time with a guy who earned an engineering degree in Russia. He was, as I've recounted countless times on this blog, earning $1 a month handing out towels in a hotel to pampered Westerners like me.

The one thing I observed was how appreciative and knowledgeable they were on various cultural things. And, through the many winks, how much they loathed Castro.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.