2010-06-15

Hugo Update

The more I'm invested in La Hoonchback de Noter-Dame the more I realize just how profound my ignorance of history can get. It says here on my little paper all neat in calligraphy that I hold a bachelors in history. I say "be off with the devil" with such lunacy!

A couple of lines I've enjoyed thus far:

"On that day (referring to the Feast of Fools) every turpitude was permitted and even held sacred. Was it not then the least they could do to swear as much as possible, and to curse a little in the name of God, on so fine a day, in the good company of churchmen and loose women?"

In a conversation - if you can call it that - between Pierre Gringoire and La Esmeralda. Gringoire asks her if she knows what friendship was. The gypsy replied, "It is to be brother and sister, two souls that touch each other without uniting, like two fingers of the same hand."

He then proceeds to ask her about love to which see replied with a trembling voice and sparkling eyes:

"Oh! Love! It is to be two but one - it is a man and a woman melting into an angel - it is heaven itself."

I've been too lazy to discuss books I read in the past. I'm determined to be less lazy with this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.