2010-06-17

CBC World Cup Coverage Is So Typically Multicultural

Someone asked me what I thought of the CBC's coverage of the World Cup and which World Cup I considered the best.

Normally, the CBC does a solid job of covering sports. Track & field for example. They do very well with the Olympics - superiour to anything NBC does. However, I don't get why they have three different sets of commentator crews. TSN had it right four years ago when they had ONE (outstanding) crew for the entire tournament. Another thing. They do overplay the multicultural/PC angle. I know about the impact soccer has on culture, but really, can we tone it down a tad? I really don't care that Nabil from Iceland who was adopted by a Cree couple living in Quebec who is with Metis blood but is of Berber ancestry pulls for Argentina.

Bah. It's public broadcasting. What did you expect?

As for the best World Cup, hands down 1986. Hands down. Worst one, easily 2002. Easily.

In a previous post, I mentioned how the British press blamed a former Canadian model for England's opening tie against USA. France's Patrice Evra blamed the vuvuzela. Now it's Spain's turn. The Spanish press is blaming Spain's loss on keeper Iker Casillas's (who like his Italian colleague Gianluigi Buffon is among the top keepers in the world but struggled this past season in league play) reporter girlfriend.

I don't know much but I'm going to guess none of England, Spain or France will win the world cup. When stuff like this happens, it's likely meant to mask deeper issues. The next country to complain will join this group. Although I will say Spain has the personel to overcome their early problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.