2009-08-26

What Canada Can Learn From Quebec; National Geography Not A Prerequisite At Sportsnet Connected

I was mulling over the Canadian arctic sovereignty issue this evening. I know. Such excitement.

As most people know, Canada's claim to the arctic is often disputed by nations. Yet, Canada never really seize the issue by the collar and exerted its national interests in the area. It's like we're too timid, naive or just plain daft.

How to find that extra bite? That certain, "don't mess with us and our snow" flair if you will.

For this I look to Quebec. I know to most Canadians the idea of some Quebecers wanting to bust up the country is a sensitive issue but there's a lesson on how Quebec handles its affairs to which Canada can learn.

Quebec fights for its interests. Sometimes they go overboard but the province knows where it stands. Nationalist author George Grant admired this Quebecois moxy and proclaimed in 'Lament for a nation' that while Canada meekly sold its interest to the United States, Quebec was "going down guns blazing" trying to preserve its identity.

For this they deserve a nice tap on the bum.

For once, just once, I want to see Canada grow a pair - or a spine - and just tell the Americans, Russians, Danes, Norwegians and who ever else enters our waters to shove off or face our guns.

If Canadians consider the Arctic important and a part of our national identity then it's time to convert the rhetoric into action. I'm not saying through violence but build a few military ships. Just "be there." Twitch. Dare. Be bold.

You'd be surprised with the results.

***

Just wanted to mention something I heard on Sportsnet Connected this morning. They were talking about Team Canada's Olympic training camp roster. To be specific, the goaltending situation. The two main goalies thought to be in the running for the starting job are New Jersey's Martin Brodeur and Vancouver's Roberto Luongo. Both players are from Quebec.

So when it came to discussing both in the report - by Ian Mendes I believe it was - naturally, this was mentioned. But it was how it was described that raised my Andy Rooney eyebrows (I'm kidding). Mr. Mendes said, "Both are French."

Call me a stickler but if I'm the editor, I don't let that pass. No, they're not French (Luongo's heritage is Italian). They're Canadians. Or, if you prefer, Quebecers.

I would have amended that to "Both are Quebecers." Hey, SNC is far from the only one's who make these sort of oversights. I hear and read about it often enough. Sigh. No one would dare hire me as a sports editor.

Thought to make a small, insignificant issue of it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, on this one I can agree 100% with you. Maybe you should worry, eh?

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.