2009-08-27

Maher Says: Drag the Knuckle Draggers Into The 21st Century!

Excuse me?

Did...did I just hear Bill Maher, who I enjoy watching even if I disagree with him sometimes, call Americans (or at least those who oppose health care reform) "stupid?"

Please. Tell me I didn't hear this. I ask because I only have 85% hearing in one ear.

If true, well, he has balls that's for sure. At least he attempts to challenge Americans.

Still.

What an unfortunate state of intellectual affairs.

First off, it's inconsequential to his argument that "60% of Americans don't believe in evolution." You can't use this line of thinking to support health care reform. What if a few of them actually support it? Did he break down the numbers?

I'm wondering, does he think those Americans with thoughtful concerns are "stupid?" I thought dissent was a good thing in America. Ah, but only if it agrees with your side!

The other thing he said that intrigued me was his assertion "they must be dragged" into the reform. Is he promoting the notion government has the right to ignore the wishes of the people as long as it believes (along with the intellectual classes) it's doing the right thing? I think it doesn't take a grand mind to consider the implications of this.

If, say, 55% of Americans oppose reform, is it correct for the government to ignore the wishes of the majority and side with the minority? Tyranny of the minority if you will.

I'm not sure. Let's s suppose 45% of Americans are in fact correct about it, does this give them the right to over turn the majority? I know governments go against the wishes of their people all the time, but for a personality to advocate for it is something not right with me.

I do believe that sometimes hey, you gotta do what you gotta do, but I also understand this comes with all sorts of complicated nuances. If you're a politician what's your ultimate purpose on a particular issue: To rule with your conscience or listen to the people who elected you?

If you go with the former, you're banking on history eventually vindicating you. At which point, you'll be ordained a visionary. However, this presupposes your leader has the intellectual aptitude and moral fortitude to wrestle with complex issues. What if you're wrong? What if you force an issue you strongly believe in against the people? What then? How to measure the consequences of your decisions for posterity?

Is this the case on the whole?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.