2009-07-31

Just Some Stories And Thoughts To Tell

Lucky youz.

-Well, I'm once again installed here in Montreal after a two-week trip to Washington D.C. and Delaware. What did I learn? For starters, I look smashing in a tan. Vain, vain, vain.

Aside from this, while walking and trolleying around D.C., I thought about Alexis de Tocqueville - that brilliant observer of 18th century America from France best known for his work in Democracy in America. Specifically, I wondered about how different political life was back then to what it is now. Was it "easier" to observe American politics and its connection to the people back then? In other words, were the two closely tied? When one reads speeches from that time, it feels as though there still was such a thing as "being responsive to the people." As I walked around, it was clear people still want to connect to the political heritage, but it was hard to pinpoint to what degree democracy was being practiced. Were they there to merely witness Lincoln in his chair or Jefferson standing both majestically looking towards the world? Or were they there to rediscover their sense of public and duty to the republic? As time goes on, as societies grow, as the government apparatus grows, the distant chord between the people and government gets wider and wider...and wider.

***
-I discovered on this trip that my daughter has a career in selling insurance policies waiting for her. Man, the gift of gab this chick has never ceases to amaze me. While we shopped for fresh food at a private farmer's market, she managed to hustle a free Italian ice from a oerson (I believe she was an owner) who had just purchased a container for her kids. My sister was watching over her and tried her best to manage etiquette with disbelief. Even after 45 years of life and three kids (one with Turrets), she was unsure how to handle 'Lil Bif. The lady told Lauren, "but this is for my kids, love." To which she quietly but firmly answered, "but I want it." The lady being of high character and knowing she wasn't going to dissuade a committed four year-old, smiled and asked, "Root beer or mango, hon?" The yung'un replied, "Mango."

On the drive back we stopped at Wendy's in Broome County, NY. As we approached the counter, my daughter, who has all the premium social skills and graces of her mother and none of her father, assertively walked up to the cash and began giving her order and an explanation as to why she was ordering it as a bonus. Just behind the cashier stood a man. He popped his head, listened to Lauren, smiled and disappeared once again. Generally, I let my daughter babble until I sense an awkward moment or she peters out - which ever comes first. She petered out on this occasion and gave my order. "$5.81 please." In my head, I knew the amount was too low for what I ordered so I retorted, "this includes the small chili?" "Yes" she replied. And then, "the manager paid for the kiddie meal."

Wow. I never experienced this at a fast food place. Ever. A manager with such a sense of class and touch of humanity? Never.

We were and are so grateful. The price of the meal meant nothing to us but the gesture was priceless. His name was Ron and we thanked him for his kind act. Lauren reminded him of his grand daughter "who never lets her grand parents snooze."

Note to Wendy's in Broome County: Promote Ron!

***
We took I-81 (through the picturesque Thousand Islands region, the 401 and eventually highway 40) back to Quebec. It never ceases to amaze me how highway safety signs are posted bilingually in parts of NY state, Vermont and Ontario. I've made mention of this in the past (and again here) because I feel this shows respect for Quebec motorists. Politics should not be above safety. It's a shame we don't return this sensible way of looking at it. Instead, the minute we hit Quebec the signs are unilingual. Safety is not above politics here.

One can counter, perhaps, the English language is not in jeopardy so posting French signs anywhere in North America is not an issue. By contrast, we believe, here in Quebec, give the English language an inch and it will take over the French language. I'm not heavily invested in the French language or of the opinion that language is a means to an end in defining a culture. I think we take it to extraordinary heights in being vigilant to protect a language- often at the expense of but one language. It's so aggressive it keeps me disconnected from it. Weird. I know but the truth.

Is this a sign of weakness? Strength? Reality? To me, by posting English signs projects confidence not the other way around. I believe French can survive being kind to English on important matters relating to law, health and highway safety. Alas, what do I know?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.