2009-07-11

Examining The 47 Million Figure Further

Lew Rockwell.com asks, 'Are there really 47 million Americans who can't afford health insurance?"

The magic number used to be 44 million a couple of years back but I digress. Whenever I'm confronted with blanket "there are X-amount" of this and that not doing that and this, I generally skim off 50% off the figure right off the top. I then go out and look at the source of who or which organization pushes a particular agenda. In other words, follow the yellow brick road.

Here in Canada, naturally, we cling on to that 47 million figure without thought because it serves our nationalist impulse just fine. It's a way to prove we're a more compassionate society - which is nonsense to me.

If the Canadian system was smooth, efficient and truly offered the best care in the world, then I'd suggest the Americans look at us. But it doesn't.

Why not just tailor the system to that portion of society without insurance rather than creating a whole one-size fits all bureaucratic mess?

Then again, I'm bias since I'm not a fan of the "one-size" fits all strategy/option in clothing. I have a slender, thin frame and never benefit from those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.