2014-03-12

CNN Makes Me Cry

I don't listen to CNN (the glitzier version of the CBC) all that often but when I do, I cry.

What am I talking about?

Reporting on the building collapse in New York City, the CNN reporter said, "I gotta be honest" in describing the air clearing.

Is she implying she could be lying?

Saying 'I gotta be honest' is not what I consider to be professional journalism.

But hey. She's doing her best!

As if that wasn't enough, the story switched to the disappearance of a plane in Malaysia. Nothing like a mystery to bring out all the conspiracy theorists and conjectural experts.

The anchor, in explaining they knew nothing but still went ahead and said "here's what we kinda know."

Dafuck?

I don't want to know what you kinda know. If I want that, I can go talk to my neighbor and see what he thinks of it.

Journalists, I was told all my life, report facts. Getting facts straight is the key to objectivity.

I guess they got out of the facts business?

Wait. Anchorman Kinda Know wasn't done. He then closed, in describing what possibly kinda happened, by saying, "you know what I mean?"

Fuck. No. I don't know what you mean. I'm the viewer. But seeing you not only don't know what you're talking about, I'm gonna go ahead and guess CNN is in the business of talking out of its ass.

CNN is good at one thing and one thing only: Appealing to emotions.

Man. Everywhere I turn and look. Mediocrity.

Mediocre Presidents and leaders, mediocre services, mediocre newspeople - mediocre everything.

Be proud of our mediocrity! Everyone is trying hard!

They're not journalists. They're 'tell stories and shit people.'

I'll be in my bunk.

Crying.

******

Why does everyone feel compelled to always point out how everyone is doing their jobs 'extraordinarily?"

I expect them to do their, you know, jobs to the best of their abilities.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.