2014-03-14

Moulding Boys In Another Image

Boys will be boys:

"I’ve had a couple different conversations with the teachers at my child’s preschool about some of the aggressive behaviors a few of the children have been exhibiting. It has been most alarming to wake up in the morning and have my three-year-old say to me, “I am a robot, I’m going to eat your brain and peel off your skin.” I was also concerned to learn that when a child brought in a Ninjago book, the teachers read the book to the children even though Common Sense media reports that this series is best for children 7 and over and has 0/5 educational value, 2/5 for violence and 5/5 for consumerism. When I have expressed my concerns about some of these issues, every conversation has ended the same, with the teacher saying, “Oh you know, boys will be boys.”

That statement effectively has ended the conversation because it has left me too stunned and flabbergasted to respond. I bite my tongue each time because I don’t want to be THAT parent who is viewed as oversensitive and disengaged from reality. I also want to have a productive dialogue that will allow the preschool to hear my concerns in a way that may allow them to shift their thinking about how they address these issues. This blog is my attempt to organize my thoughts and gather some relevant research in order to help other parents and teachers who may find themselves perplexed by the same situation. So why is “boys will be boys” dangerous?"

Is that all he said? Shit, you should hear my poor mother went through with her offspring.

5/5 for consumerism?

Oh....noooooo!

The word 'boy' needs to be banned. 

Comment:

"sympathize
Submitted by sy sperling on March 14, 2014 - 1:12pm.

""Boys will be boys" is a dangerous attitude because it encourages teasing- the kind of teasing I experienced in grade school, due to my premature baldness.

I went to bed crying many a night. If only I had known then that things would get better, once I came up with my revolutionary hair weave techniques. Today I have a rug and $40 million in the bank- enough for me to pay assassins to track down and eliminate my chldhood tormentors.

Hair Club for Men changed my life and it can change everyone's. And remember, I'm not just the PResident of Hair CLub, I'm also a client.

Peace out.

Sy Sperling

P.S. I'm proud of you Professor Meyer. And there is no chance at all your son will grow up to be a prancing, limp-wristed oversensitive sissy. No chance whatsoever."

2 comments:

  1. Is this like the bossy women who demanded we ban the word "bossy?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.bbc.com/news/health-25198063

    I wanted to write a long-winded treatise on why I think adults interact with children as they do based on the children's behavior patterns and the reason that bullying and teasing exist but I ought to save that for my own blog.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.