2010-02-24

NBC Olympic Coverage Lousy

The U.S. may be kicking ass in the medals (with Canada fast catching steam), but NBC is getting its butt whipped by CTV/TSN/Sportsnet in terms of overall coverage. More content, substance, and of course, no cheap sophomoric tape delay.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

This is not the reason why I decided to comment on coverage. Rather, while watching the Canada/Russia hockey game, I flipped to NBC. There I saw Bob Costas (Michael Johnson fastest man alive my little pinkie) sitting comfy, legs crossed, in front of a fire place. All he was missing was a Tim Horton's hot chocolate.

Arguably, the biggest attraction at the Olympics is hockey. And for good reason. With the best players in the world competing, hockey offers a great entertaining sporting show piece to the world.

Canada and Russia came in with the two best players on the planet in Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin; to say nothing of one of the best intense rivalries in pro sports. They were expected to be playing in the gold medal game. Instead it was the quarter finals. It's a shame one of these teams will have to go home - as it stands as I type this Canada is ahead 7-2.

Why is NBC completely ignoring hockey? I don't even think they showed the U.S. defeat Switzerland in their quarter final game.

Did Gary Bettman fail to make a deal with them? Is it a rights issue? I know they'll say it's a rating thing but it's the effen Olympics. What, Americans are more interested in women's bobsleigh?


All I know is I'm glad I have options and it's an easy choice to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.