2009-05-20

Painful Memories Of Ineptness

My daughter was playing with a hobby called "Sun Catchers" last night.

As I watched her fill the plastic sun catchers with the idiot proof paint tubes, it brought back memories of when I used to play with car models.

And boy did I suck at building models. I was so useless at it, it was like I had 10 fat thumbs. No matter how much I concentrated, the car never came out looking like the picture on the box. The bottom end of the model which needed to be snapped on always gave me trouble. I could never quite get it to snap smoothly with the top part of the car.

Even when I was gentle I managed to smash the differential - if hot rods had a differential. Worse were those stickers. After sinking them in water, I would always manage to either split the "Corvette" so that it looked like "Crvtt" or stick them on the body of the car crooked and crinkled as if Helen Keller put them on. In fact, she'd probably do a better job.

Speaking of sure and steady hands, I was also terrible at "Operation".

Hmm. Outside of writing a few posts that go largely unread and playing a couple of sports at a decent level, I don't possess too many skills.

Boo-hoo-woo.

7 comments:

  1. Poor retch, what did you smoke today that made you so despondent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't smoke. But I've been eating spelt bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just talking about Operation the other day. The weird thing about that game is that all the organs were made-up except for the spleen. Why? Because the spleen is just a funny organ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best at Operation in the family was my son. But then he is now an archaelogist and he uses that skill when digging for artifacts. So he was uncounsciously in training.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you sucked at building, while I most of the time didn't even try.

    You Canadians sometimes use words I've never heard, so I have to look them up in a dict. Wonder why.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Which word? "Sucked"? If so, that's not just a Canadian word, it's a North American one. Though I would have to look up the origins.

    In any event, it's a common albeit informal word.

    As in AS Roma sucks. ;<)

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, 'suck' I knew it already. Many others. Slang also. It's good. I learn a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.