2008-04-29

Bruce Sprinsgteen and the E Street Band Return: Under The Carnival Sounds Of Loss and Revival

Before they returned to the stage, I imagined and envisioned Springsteen paying homage to his friend Federici by bringing his organ on stage. It seemed only fitting.

Springsteen did just that.

Here are some notes about his return over at his website by correspondents from Backstreets.com. On of my favorite moments is the playing of 'Backstreets' while a somber and lonely spotlight shone on the organ. Another is Professor Roy Bittan playing the accordion (as Federici used) on the ageless 'Sandy'.

Powerful.

Two excerpts from Springsteen's poignant eulogy to Danny "Phantom" Federici:

"In the studio, if I wanted to loosen up the track we were recording, I'd put Danny on it and not tell him what to play. I'd just set him loose. He brought with him the sound of the carnival, the amusements, the boardwalk, the beach, the geography of our youth and the heart and soul of the birthplace of the E Street Band."

So in effect, Federici helped to invent the New Jersey sound.

"So today, making another one of his mysterious exits, we say farewell to Danny, "Phantom" Dan, Federici. Father, husband, my brother, my friend, my mystery, my thorn, my rose, my keyboard player, my miracle man and lifelong member in good standing of the house rockin', pants droppin', earth shockin', hard rockin', booty shakin', love makin', heart breakin', soul cryin'... and, yes, death defyin' legendary E Street Band."

Exit Federici.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.