2008-01-28

Article of Interest: Political Satire on American Affairs

Satirist P.J. O'Rourke has struck with a "Letter to Our European Friends" piece.

Here's an excerpt. Italics in parenthesis mine:

"Incidentally, there's a balanced position that all of America's presidential candidates could take on the controversial abortion issue. If they want votes they shouldn't campaign to make abortion illegal or legal. They should campaign to make it retroactive. If a kid reaches 25 and he or she is still jobless, feckless, and sitting around Starbucks (Second Cup in Canada) acting like a--no offense--European, then whack."

Heh.

3 comments:

  1. I like O'Rourke's style even if I don't always agree with what he says.

    Much like a certain commentator I could mention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh.

    I like Ominous Comma's humour, even though I prefer exclamation points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quote posted made me chuckle because it reminded me of a story. My friend hired an engineer from Bulgaria a few years back. Given that very few places were giving him a chance (he was working in a tuxedo place adjusting sleeves) this person is forever grateful to my friend.

    Anyway, one day the former communist pig (I presumptuously assume he was) recounted some picturesque stories about his native land. "The cafes in Bulgaria are always full. There are many big shots there. They know how to look good. Except nobody works."

    Speaking of Bulgarians, the great soccer player Hristo Stoitchkov, once proclaimed after a World Cup match in 1994 that "God was Bulgarian".

    As opposed to dead. Which I suppose is better - except if you're an atheist.

    Bulgaria lost to Italy in the semis. Seems the Bulgarian variation of God was no Vince Lombardi.

    Tangents, tangents. These are my stories and I am sticking to them.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.