2020-02-02

Canada's Communication Future May Include Censorship If We're Not Vigilant

I read this report titled,  "Canada's Communications Future: Time to Act."

We always have to act....Now. Save the children. Save the planet. Save it all!

Time to act!

I digress.

It's a paper explaining what Canada has to do in the Internet Age where communications is concerned.

Of course, there are organizations who just love the judgement of panels of experts.

“SOCAN has long advocated that the government introduce legislation that will ensure all content providers, including internet giants, offer significant levels of Canadian content in their catalogue, contribute to the creation of Canadian content, promote this content and make is easily accessible on their respective platforms,” said Eric Baptiste, CEO of SOCAN. “We sincerely hope all parties will work together to support new legislation designed to strengthen copyright and cultural industry protection in Canada and increase and promote Canadian content. Streaming services have been great additions to the Canadian landscape, but they could contribute even more to building more Canadian choices and international audiences.

Know what I think? I want the best. I don't want a whiff of 'Yeh this Canadian is praised and given awards by the Canadian arts establishment but how much is it really deserved? How would they stack up on a world stage?'

Did famous Canadians who made it in the USA and internationally need SOCAN?

Or were they so talented so as to transcend schemes and had something people really wanted and they delivered?

And this is what it is. A nationalist scheme. It's basically saying to a Canadian, 'you're not good enough but we'll force people to consume your work.'

It's a quota system and a type of affirmative action.

Affirmative action says to a minority, 'you're too dumb that's why we need to give you a break and to assuage us of our white liberal guilt.'

Another variation of this is the CFL's U.S. import rule. The thinking is to leave roster spots for Canadians because.....Canadian. Quality ain't got nothing to do with it.

And guess what? The product suffers. If it's in place, that means U.S. born players are better. The answer is to, you know, do better. But instead, we dilute the product for empty nationalist reasons.

This is why, in part, the CFL is not a league the hard core football fan supports. I say in part because there's also the fact Canadians aren't the most dedicated of sports fans outside hockey.

In addition, there's the usual thinly-veiled inferiority complex to America in all this. On the surface, it sounds great but when you ponder it you're accepting that a) Canadians don't succeed because of Americans and b) Canadians can only succeed through superficial means.

That being all said, none of this is rooted in a value ALL humans cherish deep down: MERIT.

A true sense of personal achievement does wonders for the soul.

Getting awards you don't deserve? Say like a Nobel Peace prize despite being a war-mongering hack with a dysfunctional and violent foreign policy?

I can't imagine Barry looks at the Token prize and says to himself, 'I did good. I merited that.'

If he does, he's a delusional narcissist who accepts deception as a form of truth.

****

But the contents of the position taken leaves me concerned. I see what the EU has done (and is doing) to content and matters of free speech. Notably, they're increasingly crushing it and I can see Canada following less the lead of the United States (the correct stance) and more the European model - the incorrect one.

How are we assured this won't lead to censorship or the 'shutting down' of media outlets the government deems 'wrong think'?

For example, if my position is I think the CBC should be privatized and I blog or go on Youtube to express this opinion, will this be considered 'fake' or 'harmful'? I don't read the CBC because it doesn't conform to my political and philosophical outlook and will express my opinion freely. So why is it 'fair' to tax me? What's to say a government or 'panel of experts' won't deem this to be 'harmful?" 

This reminds me of the specious logic whereby one asserts, 'freedom of speech ends at one's offence'. A terrible trend in the notion of what is freedom of expression and opinion these days I say. 

Moreover, given the natural disposition of the current government to lean against individual  liberty, this causes me as a private citizen some to be skeptical. 

I don't generally always agree with Rebel Media but I see what's going on there with how the government is using its agencies in an attempt to bully them - with tax dollars

This is inappropriate and if true, completely unacceptable wholly incompatible to Canada's ostensible commitment to democracy and freedom. 

I feel compelled to actually become engaged because I am troubled by recent developments in this country since 2015. 

Canadians can be pretty apathetic but I would hope in matters of free thought we'd be a tad more vigilant.

A man can dream, no?


1 comment:

  1. My last month paycheck was for 11000 dollars… All i did was simple online work from comfort at home for 3-4 hours/day that I got from this agency I discovered over the internet and they paid me for it 95 bucks every hour==► Click it here  

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.