2017-10-18

Stats Wednesday

I've been meaning to revive 'Stats Day' for a couple of years. Alas, this year has been quite busy; plus I've been overwhelmed by the sheer pace of irrational activity I've been witnessing in the media.

I'm backed up on my 'Daily Derp' segment but I'll be posting them as well where my 'Fall of the West' segment has been embedded for the time being. There's also the very strange and possibly disturbing the facts surrounding the Las Vegas murder spree which I hope to at least link to some articles regarding it.

Anyway, back in August I was in New Hampshire visiting a couple of friends as we took in a Norm MacDonald show. On the drive to the shooting range I learned the fine and free state of NH is the only state in the USA that doesn't have a 'primary enforcement' seat beat law. In other words, it's up to to you.

As proper.

Naturally, I asked my friend (who used the seat belt) if the rate of automobile accident deaths was higher than other states. He flatly said, 'no it isn't.'

So I checked the numbers out and discovered he's right.

New Hampshire is 39th in deaths per 100 000.

Of the 34 states that have a primary law, NH ranks 12th. However, among its neighbouring New England states (Vermont and Massachusetts have secondary enforcement), it's in the middle with the 3rd highest fatality rates. New York and New Jersey (both primary) are also lower.



1 comment:

  1. All these laws we have mandating seat belt use and the such
    ...decades ago they used to have "public service" messages on TV suggesting it would be a good idea if folks would get into the habit of practicing those things. But it wasn't a mandate or anything.
    ...then along came the 1980s and 1990s with DUI/DWI laws, then mandatory seat belt use, the mandatory insurance coverage ...

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.