2008-06-07

Time Waits For No One

I'm feeling nostalgic.

No clue what that means.

I was watching a documentary about great musicals from the Great Depression to the 1950s called Hollywood Singing and Dancing. Such programs always leave me looking back fondly on a period long gone.

We sat there and just imagined. In 1988, when I was a teenager, The Beatles had been gone from the musical landscape 18 years. Now, it's been 38 years. Time doesn't contract now does it? Yet, while the image of the band in the flesh may have faded, the impact and legacy remains. The Beatles are now classical music. Not classic - classical.

The same thought came to me while watching those musicals. I'm not a big musical fan. I've been to Broadway and enjoy those shows but as a whole it's not my thing. Probably because they're from another time before me. Had I grown up in the 30s or 40s, my taste and sensibilities would inevitably be different than today.

Singin' in the Rain is a notable exception. Man, when I watched that movie it left an impression. Especially the famous Gene Kelly scene - posted below.

The past is weird. Looking back objects fade. But the memories are powerful. Staying honest with the past is a devilish thing to handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.