2008-06-25

Dusting Off My F-601 Nikon

A few days ago I pulled out my Nikon F-601 camera. I caressed her fondly. Once upon a time she was my baby.

This in itself means little to anyone except that it reminded me about my recent magazine post. Unfortunately, I don't use my camera much anymore. Case in point: It still had three exposures left. Too bad. I was pretty good at it.

So, it was three clicks of a house plant and a couple of useless objects, pulled out the Kodak film (always bought Kodak) and off it went to get developed.

Some of the pictures in there were from a few months back. Heck, I didn't even recognize some of the kids in the pictures. They grow up so fast. Sniff.

I own both a film (Nikon) and digital (Canon) camera. While there is no doubt that digital cameras have major advantages (no film, easily transferable to your computer to share, to name a couple), nothing beats the quality of film.

I'm not a professional photographer (I used to be an enthusiastic amateur) but this is something I've noticed developing both. Today, the ease of use and quick turn around makes digitals extremely popular and practical. In my house, both prevail. What about yours?

Does this make me a Luddite? That is, resistant to change?
Shop at Kodak.com

2 comments:

  1. I also enjoy film, it is a much better medium than digital photographs. My Dad had a nikon as well, can't remember the model, but I loved taking pictures with that thing.

    A little interesting fact: one of the first photographs ever taken was made using a daguerrotype. Invented by Louis Daguerre in 1837 and perfected it in 1839. There has been no camera since its creation that has had its quality (with regards to the photographs created).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to remember something like that. Thanks for sharing. My first camera was a FM2 (?) manual. Love that baby. Alas, it was stolen from me.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.