2008-03-11

Ben Franklin and Modern American Politics

Came across this excerpt over at the World History Blogger Network under the Ben Franklin link. maintained by Tim Tyler. The fine folks at WHBN should introduce a permalink option. It would make for sharing all the more simpler!

"A woman president will be a good thing for the U.S., when the right woman comes along. Hillary Clinton IS NOT that woman. I can imagine few other women of prominence with more baggage or cloudier ethics. I believe she is quite capable of doing whatever she thinks is necessary to win, although she has failed mightily in the past as well.

We have seen that “win at all costs” mentality at work in America before, and I am hopeful my fellow voters are beginning to realize how divisive that tactic is in the end, and how cheap the most expensive victory can become.Or perhaps more accurately, how costly a “Clinton-style” campaign can be, win or lose.

Ultimately, I am not as concerned about electing a woman president in my lifetime as I am about encouraging new generations of Americans to take part in politics and society again, with courage, hope and optimism.

I believe Hillary Clinton is the wrong person at the right time to achieve those ends - by any means.

As it relates to the “scorched earth” nature of Team Clinton vis-a-vis Barack Obama and anyone else in their path, my opinion echoes that of Benjamin Franklin, who noted quite astutely more than 250 years ago:"

“He that scatters Thorns, let him not go barefoot.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.