2006-11-17

Montreal Sports Radio Will Never be the Same

I just found out that Gabriel Morency of Team 990 sports is leaving our fair city for a greener scenery on Toronto. I met Morency briefly and my only regret is that I did not get to know him better or listen to his show more often.

In any event, it's a smart move on his part and The Commentator wishes him luck. Although, I am concerned about the hole his departure will leave on the city's English-language sports landscape.

As readers know, I have been hard on the Montreal sports scene in general. There is no depth in the ranks so to speak. But every night on his show Sports Rage (heard from midnight to three in the morning), Morency added flavour and spice to a dead, fickle and sometimes pathetic sports city. While the day crew pats itself on the back for what a swell town Montreal is, Morency did not shy away from more stark realities which I shall not get into here.

Luckily for Montrealers, Picard's alternative and independent minded 'P on Sports' between 8pm and 11pm will serve as a refuge.

But how does one replace Morency? Hilarious, bitter, contrarian, insightful, passionate and knowledgeable, he was, for me, the face of Montreal sports - French or English. Jaded by the safe talk shows around, my friends flocked to him. He did not rely on 'insiders' to drive his show. They were merely a part of it.

To boot, his army of loyal callers were part of what made his show unique. I know I've called in. Sports Rage was a true sports talk show. He let his listeners vent without the stuffy, elitist attitudes that grips other shows at the station. He was without a doubt the most hard core and knowledgeable sports nut around. You can bet he was informed on any topic. He also had what I like to regard as a 'sixth sense' about sports. It's the inherent ability to understand the nuances of sports. I found him to be both credible and entertaining.

Many times at night I laughed and giggled like a little girl listening to his show. I especially loved the long rantish pontifications about 80s kitsch and programming because I tend to do the same thing.

I will miss those late nights. I'm sorry to see him go but sometimes you need to leave the rest to be with the best.

Here's an ode to Sports Rage. 'What's kicking Montreal!'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.