2011-01-22

About Business

Here's a neat helpful resource if you're about to start a business.

I lie mostly on the "Do's" side, but I have engaged in a couple of "Don'ts" though not like the ones listed here.

The reality is you gotta do what you gotta do; even if it means using your credit cards. Just try and make sure you can pay them down quickly enough. Think Duddy Kravitz.


I made some errors but nothing, I reckon, I can't overcome in due time.
Keeping up with obligations while you have no revenues coming in is a struggle so bear that in mind because 'Mr. Nerdy Pants Credit Scorerer' only wants payment:

"Starting a business? How nice! Really, a daye care? Wow, nice service for society. Yeah, I know. I understand it's hard. Now fuck you, pay me."

How's my Ray Liotta?



So make sure you got some liquidity somehow, kids.

And yes, as the resource mentions, don't expect the banks to be on your side in the way you think. Banks are a business and you're a mashed up piece of dollar sign to them. Don't be fooled by Royal Bank commercials casting themselves as "friendly" to small businesses. They're "friendly" on their terms.

Hey, it's biz-nis.

I mention it in this manner because people seem to be under the impression banks owe them something - or something - and react incredulously when they discover they can't get what they want or need. Only deadbeat corporate bums get the benefit of the doubt. Sorry, had to put that low blow in there.

Keep your eyes open and think outside the box when it comes to finance. Money is out there.

Smaller, local banks tend to be more open and look, where applicable, for credit unions or banks that specialize in your industry. They'll understand you better.

In one case in dealing with a bank, I did the mistake of assuming they knew my business giving the prevalance of daycare here. It was like talking to Borat the communication was that bad. I approached five banks and one came through and the other gave me a hard time before giving in.

If you're not determined, don't bother jumping on such a venture. Or else you'll vomit stress to the point of ruining your body. If you're the type that freaks out when the price on a mutual fund - never mind common stock - fluctuates by calling your broker or banker, then maybe it's a sign you're not cut out for business.

Me? I spat at my statements and gave it a karate chop whenever my market value was down. But I wouldn't recommend either because it can be messy and lead to injury.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/22/2011

    My new little biz is just barely getting off of the ground. It will take time, and more gov't red tape too. Still, it is fun to be doing, and creating something.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.