2010-12-04

Losing Rationality Over Wikileaks

Like most people trying to make sense of Wikileaks, I sway back and forth, but clearly politicians are rattled by it. I can't say they don't have a reason to but their reaction and comments have been troubling.

Consider former senior advisor for the Conservatives Tom Flanagan who called for the "assassination" of Assange. I saw it live and while the way he said it was mildly meant to be in humor, I scratch my head as to why he said it at all given Assange's life is apparently in real danger.

I'm ok with Wikileaks. It's just that the problem with all this information is context. That is, the average person reading and digesting it can't always contextualize what they are reading or seeing and that can pose a real problem.

And there's this idiotic "death threat" from Ezra Levant. How the Ottawa Sun can publish this tripe is beyond me.

Down south, American conservatives (including Kristol and Limbaugh) are having a go at Assange. I'm generally frivolously flippant and indifferent to Sarah Palin. I don't know what the hubbabub is all about but I respected the fact she is popular and has supporters. However, listening to her make comments about how Assange should be hunted down like a terrorist, changed my mind. I think she's a dink like anyone who is over reacting to this.

How is this rhetoric, particularly with Levant, any different than an Imam issuing a death warrant for someone?

Very disturbing to say the least. Ok, you don't like the guy, his background and his motives, but to question his life? Screw you all. You're no different than the terrorists you hunt down.

As for liberals, haven't heard much from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.