2010-12-02

Cracking Wikileaks

I asked in a previous post how would national governments react to Wikileaks.

Why do I get the distinct feeling Wikileaks and its founder Julian Assange is being railroaded?

Most of the "leaks" I read on wikikeaks are more gossip than hard leaks. So, to me, the reaction he endangers people is weak to me. Conversely, he's over rating what he publishes. Interesting as it may be, I don't see the value of publishing what lower level diplomats say to each other. It's not official stuff and it just shows we're all human.

Nonetheless, I don't think he should be "shut down."

He's basically TMZ for news just like Deadspin is more sports celebrity gossip than anything else.

***

I find it quite intriguing to hear the national media and conservative media in particular howl derisively against Wikileaks. Everything from calling it a terrorist organization to traitor demanding execution has been hurled towards the site and its founder.

Stunning.

Rather than A) become more transparent and B) do its own internal clean up, the government and the media are singling out a website. 'A' in particular is important. Leaving aside the "quality" of the leaks for a second, give a little, and it'll help quell the appetite of the curious. Outlaw or be secretive, and well, look. You get stuff like Wikileaks.

Guys like Limbaugh talk a mean game when it comes to freedom and liberty, but when a chance to defend it at all cost presents itself, they go all statist and fall in line.

Anyway, these are my early impressions. I'm sure things will change a little moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.