2005-04-06

Mellencamp: A Permanent Soundtrack

John Cougar Mellencamp: A Permanent Soundtrack

When I was 10 years old, my mother gave me $2 to buy my first record. It was 1982 and it was a coming of age of sorts. I immediately asked my sister, 8 years my senior, which artist I should buy and she, with much disinterest I might add as she read a book, suggested 'Hurts so Good.' The rest is history. I became a music fan that day.

Since then my interest in musical genres is wide in scope. I've come a long way since my innocent and ignorant years. My journey has taken me from rock to jazz in all its forms, blues and gospel in all their own styles, classical musical in all its rich complex history, bluegrass, country, folk, punk, metal, new wave, indie rock and all the in-between genres like naive rock and minimalist funk. Watching all these forms cross one another throughout music history has been an interesting hobby that has rarely left me dissatisfied. Musicians are always testing new grounds and I welcome this. Of course, I do have my personal favorites too numerous to mention here.

John Cougar Mellencamp, however, stands out for a couple of reasons. I became, in spirit, his de facto spokesperson in Montreal. I still own every single one of my 45s. Another reason was because, gulp, I got my first kiss from an older gal while listening to 'Lonely 'ol Night'. I was 13 she was a 14 year-old French-Italian-Canadian. Growl.

Yet another reason came about during his 'Lonesome Jubilee' tour in 1987. I was 15 years old. My cousin managed to remarkably get us (my brother and two buddies) front row seats. During the night, Mellencamp's wife at the time noticed that my brother and I knew every word to every song. At one point, one of his roadies passed by and picked up my 12 year-old brother and hurled him on stage. There he was, scrawny little kid performing 'Pink Houses' alongside John Cougar fricken Mellencamp before 20 000 fans'.

The night reached its zenith when we got to briefly meet Mellencamp. We took pictures and exchanged addresses. True to their heartland America word they sent us the pictures with a note. Needless to say, at such a young age the whole episode left an impression. When you're young, it is much easier to have a musician have an impact on you as your experiences are obviously limited. In this light, rock stars seemed so gigantic in their cool progressiveness.

As you grow, you move on, see different things. Date different funky and eccentric girls. Time and ho you allot it becomes constrained. I would go weeks without listening to a Mellencamp song as I was busy reading or listening to a new singer or band. I took every chance to expand my repertoire and knowledge. But Mellencamp never strayed too far off. I still get the same rush as I always have listening to "Pink Houses" or "Minutes to Memories."

Many people I know are well aware of my history with Mellencamp and so they ask, which album do consider to be his best? Or yet, I prefer? I can't speak for him, though I know he has gone on record saying he felt that the excessively melancholy 'Human Wheels' was his best record and that 'Big Daddy' was under appreciated. Both were fine albums. I know critics bashed 'Dance Naked' but I felt that was undeserved. In any event, it boils down to two albums 'Scarecrow' and 'Lonsome Jubilee'.

I'm not sure when the comparisons to Springsteen came about though I would have to surmise and guess it was around 'Scarecrow' in 1985. Mellencamp does not possess the poetic abilities of Springsteen, but he manages nevertheless to get his story across quite poignantly and with substance.

Arguably his best two works, Mellencamp explored the same issues Woody Guthrie, Phil Ochs, Bob Dylan and Springsteen wrote about. Namely, through his blue-collar image, the crumbling American dream, working class challenges, social inequities, lost innocence, growing up, dead-end life and the plight of farmers. Come to think of it the implied yeomen virtue in all their music would make Thomas Jefferson proud. I've seen blogs chastise Mellencamp (and Springsteen for that matter) for his political positions. One does not have to agree with him. However, once should never question his patriotism and love for America. His music is crystal clear about this. It's just that it's not blind.

I have always flip-flopped between the two albums. I like them both equally. Musically and lyrically, one would have to conclude that 'Lonesome Jubilee was his best. He was one of the first musicians in the mainstream to use traditional instruments 'played without politeness' as he put it. The themes explored were wide in scope and everyone, once they reach that reflective age, will make 'Cherry Bomb' their own personal anthems.

Indeed, '17 has turned 35.' Time flies. It's amazing that I can put on a Cougar tune and still feel the shivers as I did the first time I ever put the needle to my first 45. Music is funny that way. It just knows how to hit the right inner chords.

Hey John, if you're reading this, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.