2015-04-09

Sorry Montreal. Packing A Couple Of Exhibition Games Is Not Proof The City 'Deserves' Its Baseball Team Back

I like baseball. Always have. It actually is disappointing I didn't play organized ball until I joined a couple of garage leagues years later. It's a great game.

I generally played center-field because as a left-hander the infield posed a little problem. Other than first-base, I couldn't play short or second which I preferred.

In any event, center-field was a personal Mecca. I played it fairly well given I possessed decent foot speed and dexterity as well as solid catching skills. When you play center you have to constantly be surveying what's going on in the infield. You need to project ahead different scenarios that may come your way. Where do you throw the ball with two runners on at first and second and one out? Do you throw home; to the cut off man? Which player is at the plate? Do they hit pull the ball thus reminding your partners in outfield to keep an eye out? If the runner on first is a base stealer you need to be ready to go back up your second-baseman lest the catcher's throw eludes him. And if you have a rifle for an arm, you may even try to throw a runner out at first Vladimir Guerrero style.

The outfield also offers a chance at momentary personal thoughts between plays. As the trees swing gently singing in the background with the wind on a summer evening, it is here you get to think through... life in peace. Alone in the outfield.

But what peaceful moments of solitude baseball offers, it also demands intense challenges if facing a pitcher as a hitter. Once you enter the batter's box, it's like entering the ring or a Gladiator preparing for battle. Different sets of thinking skills take over as well as the sheer scariness of facing a 60 or 70 mph pitch - let alone the 85-100 we see in the pros.

It's kill or be killed.

And then, in an instance, it's over and the cycle starts again.

Baseball's cadence is part of what makes it a great game.

How's that for intro on this post about the prospect of baseball returning to Montreal?

The point is I enjoy the game as do many Montrealers. I'm no different and there are certainly bigger fans than me.

However, this notion of that because we somehow fill the stadium for a couple of exhibition games means baseball can come back to Montreal seems hollow and superficial to me.

Never mind a fair question is where were these fans when the Expos needed them most? Right. Making excuses for not going from blaming Brochu and Selig, to citing the location of the Big O all the way to their dog ate their homework. If it were today, global warming would be blamed.

Having a MLB is a major - excuse the pun - 81 game commitment and I just don't see the Montreal sports fan getting behind it. There are not enough baseball fans.

I could be wrong but I just look at the Alouettes and Impact on a much smaller scale and wonder how in the world we can get MLB.

However, the biggest impediment to getting a pro team back is getting a new stadium. When asked about the prospect of baseball returning to Montreal, the Commissioner said we need a new park.

That's a huge hurdle to climb. The last we tried it failed. I did my part in buying a $250 brick but unfortunately it fell through and soon after Nos Amours skipped town and left for Washington.

I wish Warren Cromartie luck and I'll again do what I can - within financial reason - to help out because nothing beats watching baseball with a beer on a warm, lazy summer afternoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.