2011-09-11

Music Sunday

How popular is Pink Floyd?



If youtube is any indication, pretty damn popular. Seven million views for 'Mother.'

Do you know the origins of the name of the band?

Named after two obscure blues musicians Pink Anderson and Floyd Council who were tagged as 'East coast blues' or the 'Piedmont' school (or even 'porch blues') artists.

I found this out years and years ago reading a rock history blurb in some magazine. I later found a Pink Anderson record in a hot, humid record shop across Sam The Record Man in downtown Montreal. The man was nice enough to play part of the record for me. Didn't buy it for some reason. Never came across a Council recording.

Ah, the days when I had time to roam the streets like a vagabond. At least I put part of it to some good use. Look, I'm posting about it here aren't I?

The influence of the blues is ubiquitous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.