2011-08-20

Sports Host Icon Ted Tevan Passes Away

What a shame sports radio host Ted Tevan passed away.

Now this guy was a legend. We tend to throw and spray the word 'genius' and 'legend' around a little too lightly. Like everything else, it feels like everything is watered down as our standards drop lower and lower. It's getting to a point where we'll consider a piece of lint a "genius."

"Hey, look at that sucker cling on to the carpet. It's a genius!"

The only thing I'll say growing up listening to AM sports radio was that Tevan was a late night special. I wouldn't listen every night but I usually caught his post-game Habs/Als/Expos shows. His pace was interesting and even at times hilarious as he'd yell at a caller, "you're outta here!" And those long-winded, off the cuff ads! Classic.

One time my buddy and I sat around during the midnight hour, after exhausting all sports avenues around Duvernay, listening to Tevan. Out of nowhere he'd stop and start talking about Tropicana orange juice. Or smoked meat. We'd just sit and laugh our asses off.

I even called in his show years ago when he had former Expos player Rodney Scott on as a guest.

Tevan was basically altnernative sports radio.

It was still a good time in the 80s for late night sports radio around here. Now?

I have no time or interest to listen to bull shit fluff. I can't stand listening to younger people who know less than me. The lack of historical knowledge and proper context in sports annoys me.

"You support the Browns? Know why they're named the Browns?" "Wha, huh? I just liked the Dawg Pound!"

I want hardcore. Morency filled in the gap nicely for a while but there's nothing I make a point to listen to when I actually have the time. Melnick conducts a wicked good interview and is a real pro but it's in the afternoon. I work.

Anyway.

Montreal lost a good one while mediocrity continues its ascent assaulting all.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.