2011-08-04

Phrases I Hate

In sports: "____ nation." As in "Red Sox nation" or "Pirate nation" or "Raider nation."

Horrible.

***

In politics: "It's the law." As in here, for example, in Quebec: No we can't send you literature in English because it's the law."

Don't laugh. It's true.

I still don't know why Americans would come and open a business here. Mind you, I don't think many do. If they want the "slowed down" pace of Canada (otherwise known as egalitarian social-democratic paradise...no laughing please) they can just go to Ontario. The only Americans here are the ones relocated by major corporations who deal with the bureaucracy through their backoffices.

I reckon.

Personally, if I had the choice, or could redo a couple of things, I would not live here. Nothing personal against the people, but the overall political and business mindset is not for me and my family.

***

City of Edmonton: Offers all documents in eight languages.
City of Montreal: As long as the facade of the website is in English, let them eat cake the rest of the way.

Oh. Wait. It's the law. "Voyons-donc! C'est normale!"

Progressive Canada.

Keep saying it enough you'll eventually believe it.

***

Speaking of bureaucracy, I love how they spin their own existence.

As they explain you the extraordinary costs of "social services" small business are forced to pay they speak as if they're doing you a service. "Don't worry it will be covered" and "it's to protect you from whatever."

When you sit and really think about it, it's all a myth. It's all empty rhetoric.

In the meantime, the people said to be protected under social laws become enablers and masters of gaming the public system. I don't know what the percentage is but if I go by what I've heard in the grapevine, it's not acceptable. Of course, the state doesn't have the resources to crack down efficiently on fraud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.