2010-09-16

Palm Oil

I've always read the ingredients of foods I buy. In the past, I tended to be more lenient with junk food but less so now.

Especially when I don't understand certain terms like "modified palm oil." Speaking of which, there's debate as to whether palm oil is bad for us or not. I would lean on the bad side because they're usually found in processed junk food. Palm oil is not kernel oil. Palm oil comes from the flesh of the fruit in the palm tree whereas kernel oil derives from the seed itself. Extracting kernel oil sounds like a complicated process. Palm oil is high in saturated fat; in the neighborhood of 50%. Kernel oil is much higher closer to 80% and possesses trans fat.

In other words, be conscious of what you're eating. You may want to be diligent on how much of this stuff you tolerate. Personally, ONE item in my house contains palm oil and that's Nutella and I eat that once every 10 days or so.

Neat video on palm oil. I'm guessing "fractionated palm oil" is the same as "modified." Either way, they don't inspire much confidence:

4 comments:

  1. Do some research on tropical oils (including palm and coconut). They've been vilified for their saturated fat content, but are actually far better for you than regular vegetable oils (a health nightmare, in my opinion).

    Besides, saturated fat itself is not the villain it's made out to be (your body needs it).

    Palm oil is no doubt better in its natural form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said, there's no shortage of debate but it can't be denied palm oil is often used in junk foods.

    So my position is simply consume it in moderation.

    Which is what I do.

    You're absolutely right that saturated fat is vilified and that we need it.

    I'm the last guy to take the side of nannyers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, you get plenty of sat fats in olives, olive oil, nuts and stuff.

    Excellent foods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Formerly considered a useless illegal substance in the West, cannabis (marijuana) is beginning to acquire a reputation for relieving chronic pain. This may be a breakthrough for CBD those with chronic back pain, firbomyalgia or other chronic conditions.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.