2008-09-24

Should We Be Afraid Of Creationism?

Yes.

Yes we should.

Here's one way to look at it courtesy of The Pen and the Spindle and a blog post titled, Theocracy and Knowledge.

This is not, as PS alludes, to accept in perpetuity accepted tenets of science and history. We should always evolve; revisit and rethink.

Creationism is another way to look at the universe. However, if it ever becomes part of the educational discourse, there will indeed be a Dark Age that will descend upon us. North America (and America in particular) is about questioning our world and society, innovation and progress.

Call me whatever you want but to me, the United States is the last great beacon of world civilization. It mustn't close itself down. It must remain open.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9/25/2008

    I agree, creationism in education is Dark Ages and USA should not close, since if it is not about progress and innovation – as you well say - it will forget its deepest spirit and purpose.

    Allow me only to remark lol that Europe is still there, with less innovation spirit perhaps, but with still a lot to say, like a wise old man. Plus economically the EU area is the richest in the world (don’t know for how long), and yes, politically it’s a dwarf.

    Finally, in that last paragraph – as you’d probably guess - I’d write ‘Western civilization’ instead of ‘World civilization’. I’m repeating this over and over again, I know, but I don’t think it is defeatism – as Fareed Zakaria says –, it is a fact.

    All the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is probably the best place and moment to say that I like your 'new look'. Thanks for the mention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Madame Pen. Trying to get some 20s/deco feel to this site. It's hard but special thanks to Theresa for this.

    It was a good post that merited a plug.

    MOR, oh heaven yes. Lord only knows the EU is still relevant! I would never dismiss this wonderful place.

    As for "Western" versus "World," as you may or may not know from past posts, I've always been careful to use "western" as you suggest. However, I did permit myself a moment of weakness. If anything, to give the post more, erm, punch.

    Grazie, signore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9/25/2008

    Punch .... I love the way you use your language, something I will never attain. :-(

    PS
    Out of context, thanks to your links I found this blog, Eternallycool. It is oustanding. Do you know by any chance who is he/she?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're too kind MOR.

    No, I don't know who runs eternallycool but I suspect we should get to now them!

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.