2008-08-17

NBC Is An American Network And Comparing Woods To Phelps Misfires


Over a nice lunch today my mother voiced a typical Canadian complaint. It came during NBC's replay of events at the Olympics (the CBC and TSN had moved on to other things for the day) as Jim Lampley interviewed the Williams sisters.

"The CBC is always interviewing American athletes why doesn't NBC ever take the time to talk to Canadians?"

This is by no means an isolated complaint. I hear this all the time from indignant and sensitive Canadians with comments on websites to radio shows. It's the oddest thing.

My reply was stoic and blunt. I explained that the Americans are freaking out in the pool (as they always do) and were busy hauling in 65 total medals. As such, American journalists and broadcasters probably barely have time to keep up with their own athletes let alone other countries. What time can they possibly set aside for Canada?

Michael Phelps alone (who is viewed with suspicion by some Canadians. Remember, this is a country that doesn't appreciate perfection. The more successful you are the more our inner communist kicks in) won eight gold medals. Which of our non-medalists (until recently anyway) does NBC feel is compelling enough to transcend their own athletes?

The answer is nobody.

If there was a Canadian who won the 100-meter then it would make sense for NBC to hunt the gold medalist down and ask them a few lame "how does ye feel" questions. Other than that, a wrestler and the rowing team isn't going to cut it.

At least my father agreed. They don't owe us any favors. We have time to watch paint dry and talk to Dutch medalists. Good for us. Maybe we should get a gold medal for our worldliness.

-Side note. I'm of the opinion that Michael Phelps is indeed the most dominant athlete I've seen. In the mean time, I've heard a few "who's the greatest athlete or most dominant athlete" ever debates. Obviously, this is up for debate but I do have my limits. The other day some were pitting Tiger Woods against Phelps. A golfer against a swimmer? Sorry. I'm not buying this.

You know, we do tend to over do this golf thing. No, it's not a pure sport and no I don't happen to accept that it's the most "mental" of games. Motor-racing, downhill skiing (where lives actually are in danger) and the pitcher/batter battle in baseball all match or even surpass golf on a mental level. Besides, this is a tough argument to use. How does one measure the degree of mental difficulty?

Woods is no doubt a great and dominant golfer (the greatest ever to many) and what he's done for the game is something to admire. However, grouping Woods (and his workout regime really isn't a reason either) and Phelps in the same sentence is a stretch for me.

3 comments:

  1. It's been commented upon that swimming rates eight medals, while other events just as numerous rate only one. I'm not at Olympics fan, so what do I know. Maybe you can clear this up for me, Commish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, I've added The Commentator to my reader now, so maybe you better expect closer supervision from me, going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I never did get why swimming has so many races. It seems a little much.

    More supervision...oh-oh.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.