2007-04-04

Easter Still Matters

Bart: "Come on Chalmy! You fired Skinner for less than this!"
Chalmers: "Yeah but Skinner really bugged me!"
Flanders: "Hey everyone let's thank the lord for a glorious afternoon!"
Chalmers: "Thank the lord? That sounded like a prayer. A PRAYER IN A PUBLIC SCHOOL! God has no place within these walls. SIMPSON! You get your wish! Flanders is HISTORY!"
Flanders: "May the lord protect you for all eternity!"
Chalmers: "Yeah take it outside God Boy!"
Flanders: "Oakily Dokily!"

It's Easter soon. The day Christians celebrate the Resurrection of Christ. It's a pretty powerful, beautiful and mystical thing this Easter. (This link will bring you to a lengthy but thoroughly engaging piece on First Things) In these days where faith is under severe strain, I pay homage to Jesus.

I was raised with religious studies in school. It was no big deal. No one felt it was improper. We didn't like it - what, with all those morals and all - but we did not question it. Not because we were brain dead but rather because we knew it meant good. Looking back, I actually appreciate it now - even though I never really did well and it did a poor (albeit valiant) job of conveying Catholic mysticism to us.

Then again, I'm not the most religious of people. My knowledge of theology and religion is not where it should be. I keep trying to find time to try and tackle such a deep subject matter but it remains elusive. The other day my sister was talking about the parable of Lazarus. I vaguely remember the plot and all I could respond was "good for him."

Such ignorance on my part. However, I am not prepared to dismiss religion just because I don't practice or study it. I won't let secularism dictate what I should feel about it for the sake of it.

That said, it's more about faith than anything. Funny thing about this word. When I was in New York to attend a cousin's wedding the Priest told the story of a wild, Irish party enthusiast who argued that "faith"should be a verb. I faith through life and I am faithing to be exact. Interesting.

For it's part, religion is just a straw man. A bridge. An attempt from man to try and reach God. Religion is a human activity thus leaving it vulnerable to all man's flaws and vices. It is not above human law. It helps to make faith blind.

It can be political and it can be violent. But the core message of religion is far more profound. When we celebrate various religious observances it's not the politicized version we hold close to us. It's the inexplicable miracles of Jesus Christ. His message. The preachings of Christ were astounding. Pure. Peaceful. Revolutionary. This link will bring you to Contratimes interesting comments on Jesus.

That's why I'm not sure why I lament public schools slowly killing off Jesus. My wife is an educator and she was preparing all sorts of Easter games and candy packages recently. "They still allow this at your school?" I asked. "Yes,"she replied. "Good for you guys. I wonder how long before someone complains." "What's to be offended by?"she answered almost naively. "Yeah, wait until you start talking about the real meaning of Easter...some kid will wonder, What? Easter is not about Bunnies?"

Something inside me says it's plain wrong. Superintendent Chalmers' fears reveal much about the state of our lives. Our faith.

We'll be hearing shortly stories about how stores and other public spaces will be asking people to not wish customers Happy Easter. It's come to this. So let me just close by saying:

HAPPY EASTER.

first image from jesus.com

1 comment:

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.