2007-03-14

Overpass Catastrophe Revisited: Note to Quebec Government: I'm Watching You

I didn't watch the Provincial debates last night. As usual, no one can decide who won. There is one part of the debate that made me happy. Specifically, Action Démocratique du Québec (ADQ) leader Mario Dumont challenging Jean Charest about the de la Concorde overpass tragedy. Look, I won't pull back any punches here; corruption is high here and to me the overpass catastrophe is a blatant example of immoral corruption. For so long, we turned the other cheek and dismissed it as a European way of doing things. Until that cool September day. My wife and child were on that overpass minutes before. So was my mother. Later on, we found out five people had been killed (six injured) including a pregnant lady.

Explain to me in this day and age how this could have been allowed to occur? How? An inquiry into the matter is only expected out in September and I await its content. Every person - and you know who you are - who had anything to do with this bridge has blood on its hands. I am sure this could have been avoided.

Political machinations aside (already the letter he used in the debate is misleading according to some engineers), I am nonetheless gratified that Dumont brought it up. I fear that we will sweep this tragic event under the rug . It's the one thing that citizens should not forgive.

As for the politics itself, Charest - for his part - has failed to cut taxes or weaken the unions. Both the PQ and Liberals have proven to be pathetically incapable to deal with serious issues such as the third world state of our public health and still play the silly hand-out game with the Feds. Referendums and transit systems seem to be all they are interested in. In other words, they are good at spending (if not siphoning) your money. They can't even build a bridge or make day care work and they should once and for all be called out. For the record, I am fed up of having to subsidize every fricken impractical social program this province enacts. Quite frankly, it's the same old crap with the two major parties.

I'm not a cynic. However, it's hard not to be one these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.